Friday, January 28, 2011

Summer Holiday in my own Backyard

By Dawn Tolson
With the winter firmly here and the snow forecast again and again my thoughts are turning to summer. These cold days leave me longing to feel the warmth of the sun on my skin. If you have read my Brit in a GRITS world column "We're all Going on a Summer Holiday" about my disastrous vacation capers, then you will understand why I feel this. However, for 5 years now we have found our little piece of paradise in the sun, Beaufort, North Carolina.

The small historic town captures my imagination of pirates and times gone by. I walk along the streets imagining my feet are treading probably in the very spot that my countryman Blackbeard had walked. The beaches of Shackleford and Cape Look Out never cease to amaze me, and the crystal-clear waters can stand amongst the best in the world.

So does anyone else out there agree with me, or do you have a rival paradise that I can try?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about Beaufort! I also love Big Sur...but was there only once...And Ocracoke, before it was on the best beaches list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it makes our day! Your comment will appear just as soon as I get the wash out, and determine that you're a real person!