Saturday, November 27, 2010

Our Schools are Cooking

By Dawn Tolson
Whilst I was writing my review of the children’s cookbook in our latest 4Gaby issue ("Williams-Sonoma, The Kid's Cookbook"), it occurred to me that there is something missing in our schools. In England we were taught to cook, yes I said it, we WERE taught to cook. Boys and girls alike, we all took basic cookery lessons. It was compulsory in the lower grades and then when you came to choosing your options (in the UK you chose your exam options in Year 9 which is equivalent to our 8th grade), cookery or as it was called, Domestic Science, was a curriculum option. I wonder whether the obesity problem here in the U.S. could be reduced if we taught our children the art of cooking.
At present it seems easier to visit McDonald’s or Burger King for dinner and even fool ourselves that having apple pieces with a fried burger full of cheese and mayo is a healthier option. Jaime Oliver, world-renowned English Chef, started a foundation in the UK whose mission is to raise awareness of the importance of nutritious food and cooking to children and vulnerable groups. He changed the school’s meal system and has started this process in the U.S. I for one hope that he makes it to North Carolina!
What do you think? Do you teach your kids to cook?
Do you think a cooking option at school is a good idea?
How did you learn to cook? Maybe you were taught at school and it is just our ever-evolving school system that has changed; if so, what do you think of that?

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right. If we taught our kids more about cooking I think they might eat heathier. My daughter has never been a fan of fish...until she started cooking them for herself. Now she's requesting I buy her more! My problem is I'm trying to switch our diet to healthier items...more whole grain breads, pastas, rice, etc. The kids won't have it!! At least they are old enough to cook or prepare foods for themselves when they can't stand what I'm making. My boyfriend and I are struggling to lose the weight that is imparing our health and the kids try to make me feel guilty for not buying soda! I can't win!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it makes our day! Your comment will appear just as soon as I get the wash out, and determine that you're a real person!