Friday, March 29, 2013

Fifteen, and Miles to Go Before We Rest

Yesterday was my last day as the mother of a fourteen year old. Today my baby turns fifteen - technically at 6:18 this evening, but try and tell him that -  and as any mother will tell you - it's amazing how the years fly by. It seems just yesterday that he was born. For that matter I often feel like a teenager myself.

He was always an easy baby - the one that you could lay down wide awake, and he would go to sleep. I know it sounds like a fairy tale or a reinvention, but it really was that way. Even now, he's not a terribly difficult teenager. He can cop an attitude, but it usually doesn't last too long. Though I do embarrass him at frequent intervals - particularly my disco dancing (he needs to be grateful that I can't still fit into the satin pants). 

He has some impressive accomplishments, and while I'm tempted to brag on them, the reality is that some kids just get it, and some kids are harder to raise. I get that completely, and I don't think we're anywhere near done with lessons, because accomplishments aren't what will provide love - character is. So a few quotes for my two teenagers, and if you have any words of wisdom - feel free to share:

"I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university." Albert Einstein

"Where there is love, there is life." Mahatma Gandhi

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." Mark Twain

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." Confucious


And your favorite quote = "Who is John Galt?" Ayn Rand

Happy Birthday!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting - it makes our day! Your comment will appear just as soon as I get the wash out, and determine that you're a real person!