Friday, October 15, 2010

Mourning the Loss of my Mornings

by Mary Alford-Carman

When I wrote “Life in the Fast Lane,” I couldn’t help thinking that as much as I look forward to Mother’s Morning Out for my three-year-old son, I don’t seem to get much of a morning out. Every other week there is a party, a breakfast or a field trip that I’m asked to attend. My son is only at the “school” three mornings a week from 9 to 1 p.m., minus the travel time for drop-off and pickup, which leaves me with 3 hours and 15 minutes a day or a whopping total of 9 hours and 45 minutes a week, alone. Those three little days are the only chance I get at sanity, an uninterrupted phone call, heck, an uninterrupted thought!

I often hear, “Careful, one day you’ll miss being with them,” and I want to retort, “But I need serenity now!” I noticed a few other Moms whispering conspiratorially when I told the teacher I could not come to this week’s harvest party. I almost stopped to tell them why I needed this time, but nah, if they’re already judging me, why should I explain? Is it wrong to want the service that I am paying for to handle its own activities without having to provide my own time and even more money for field trips and parties? Is it so wrong to want to have time for ourselves? Why do we feel guilty when we do get it? Am I the only Mama out there who could use a break and isn’t afraid to admit it? Do any of you ever feel more and more of your time is being taken away from you because of in-school activities? As for me, this Mama is taking her morning out!

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I see nothing wrong with wanting/needing a break from our kids. There's a reason for the saying, "when Momma's happy, everybody's happy..", and sometimes Momma needs to be alone to remember happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Evelyn that saying is too true! Mary I would give anything these days to have a little 'mommy time' during the day. With one child constantly home I feel like I have no time to think and sometime to keep this mom sane I need it lol !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I chose to stay home with my children while they are little, but honestly, I can't help but feel it would have been easier to continue to work outside the home. I understand that I was fortunate to be able to make that choice but I miss being just me. That said, I would never trade what I have for anything, even if I can't see straight most days.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it makes our day! Your comment will appear just as soon as I get the wash out, and determine that you're a real person!